The University of Botswana Accounting and Finance Department-Everything About the Department
The Department offers three-degree programmes: Bachelor of Accountancy, Bachelor of Finance and Bachelor of Information Systems (Business Information Systems). The department also offers combined major programs in collaboration with other departments of the University. The department also plays the role of Academic Advisor to the Center of Continuing Education (CCE), which runs the part-time Diploma in business studies and the distance education degree programmes in Accounting and finance
In addition to the undergraduate programs, the Department offers an MBA and a PhD in collaboration with the School of Graduate Studies.
Why We Are Special
Our programmes are dynamic and evolving to meet the changing requirements of the business world. Our Students enjoy international recognition and exemptions from examinations offered by accounting and finance professional bodies.
The Department of Accounting and Finance started as one of three independent departments of the Faculty of Business, established in September 1997. Prior to September 1997, the School of Accounting and Management Studies (SAMS) offered the Faculty of Business programmes. In 1995/96, SAMS introduced three new Bachelor’s degree programmes: Bachelor of Accountancy (BAcc), Bachelor of Business Administration (Management) and Bachelor of Business Administration (Marketing). These programs were taken over by the Faculty of Business in 1998. At the beginning of August 2003 the Faculty of Business introduced two more degree programmes: Bachelor of Finance and Bachelor of Information Systems (Business Information Systems), to be run through the Department of Accounting and Finance
+267 355 2239
- Bachelor of Accountancy
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics and Accounting (Revised)
- Bachelor of Finance
- Bachelor of Information Systems (Business Information Systems)
- Revised Bachelor of Information Systems (Business Information Systems)
Careers in Accounting and Finance
If you are thinking of a career in business, consider what accountants do. They are at the centre of business operations of all kinds. More specifically:
- They work with business enterprises to develop business strategies
- They assist Board of Directors by implementing corporate controls
- They help investors by analysing company performance
- They help government to develop new measures to improve economic efficiency
- They work with all types of business enterprises to measure and communicate financial performance.
An Accounting graduate can suitably work in any industry, commercial sector, service organisation, financial sector, transport industry, public sector, government, education department, agriculture, legal services, tourism, social service organisation, accounting firms, counselling centres and even in defence.
Accounting offers competitive starting salaries and long-term growth potential. It is a degree that equips you to do just about anything you want in the business world. A good background in accounting will serve you well no matter where your career takes you.
Careers in Finance
The Bachelor of Finance Programme aims at providing quality graduates with skills in:
- financial management
- international finance
- international monetary system
- investment management
- credit management,
- banking practice
- marketing of financial services
- credit risk management
- actuarial analysis
- corporate risk management
- tax planning and insurance.
Careers in Business Information Systems
The Bachelor of Information Systems (Business Information Systems) programme will equip students with skills to function as:
- systems analysts and programmers,
- systems integrators,
- network administrators,
- database administrators,
- systems security experts and end-user specialists,
- computer auditors,
- project managers
- telecommunications specialists.
Kindly use the comment box below for any question regarding Accounting and Finance