Regional Planning Director Newmont Mining Corporation
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
- To direct the regional business planning and forecasting, including capital investment allocation, that maps to strategy.
- To monitor, analyse and report on the execution of those plans to assure timely correction to meet business goals for operations, capital improvements and business developments.
- To increase and direct the quality of planning, analysis, effective communication and decision making around all regional business performance issues.
- To develop, manage and direct the Regional Planning team, including the Regional Manager Business Planning, Manager, Planning Systems, Manager, Planning Value Assurance, Regional Investment Manager and Business Planning Analyst.
- To share in the strategic decision-making process, providing Operations with financial and business planning perspective and advice.
- To maintain the financial standards and expectations, as a member of the Finance Leadership team.
- To act as part of a global team and contribute to global planning, analysis and standards.
Financial Regional Planning Strategy Execution
- Implement and execute strategic and tactical decisions to ensure achievement of the Regional Planning strategy.
- Direct the implementation of an efficient and integrated Regional Planning structure in accordance with the Region’s Business strategies, policies and goals, applicable rules and regulations including the establishment of the control framework and underlying systems and analytics necessary.
Operational Excellence Management
- Manage the effectiveness of all regional business planning processes by leading and optimising the planning, monitoring, analysis and communication around the regular and ad-hoc Forecasts, annual Budget Planning process and business growth and development process, including managing the:
- Quality and integration of mine, process and functional plans and guaranteeing an appropriate level of risk and safety review such as consideration of Geotech, ventilation, hydrology, etc.
- Africa Operations Control process that includes Performance management, monitoring systems, and actual versus budget analysis that explains variances and communicates them with regional and corporate management, with whom this role is involved in facilitating course corrections and other decision making.
- Business growth and development process that involves multiple projects dispersed throughout the region that deal with extending the profitable operating life of the region, such as new ore bodies, technologies or innovations that open up new opportunities.
- Integrated Plan Development Process that joins regional strategic plans, regional business plans, regional capital plans, and regional development plans.
- Planning improvement and implementation process to establish continuing improvements across the core business planning and monitoring the quality of functional or secondary level planning as an expert planning centre of excellence.
- Risk and Opportunity Impact Assessment process as it applies to business planning.
- Change Management Impact Assessment process as it applies to business planning.
- Drive the efficient utilisation of the Global Investment Management System and other approved systems and manage any implementations, developments, configurations, enhancements and modifications.
- Provide a key interface to the Corporate Planning and Investment Management functions through quality feedback and working cooperatively to achieve a high degree of integration at site, regional and corporate levels.
- Identify opportunities for efficiency and cost savings.
- Provide judgement and summarisation of planning issues for discussion with regional and corporate management.
- Deliver timely, accurate, professional business plans and forecasts for the region.
- Support integration of major projects into business planning and forecasting processes and content.
- Provide Technical expertise for due diligence and M&A activity through providing project management and business analysis that is refined into business recommendations and action plans.
- Manage standards and assist in global business planning standards development and ensure standards are adhered to and processes perform optimally.
- Provide analysis and recommendations on rank and rate and other Prioritisation of projects.
- Manage the forecasting process as it relates to identification and mitigation of potential impacts to Investor Relations market guidance.
How to Apply